THE Holiday Honey Cake
I am not a honey cake lover, nor a big "sweets" fan, but I do have a weakness towards this particular recipe. The traditional honey cakes I have sampled over the years have been dry and bland, but this cake recipe is admirably moist and has a divine flavor unlike any other honey cake. Really, this cake is THE HONEY cake as it is titled. Additionally the apricot preserves and coffee enhance the taste. Although I only make this cake during Rosh Hashanah, I recommend it anytime of the year!
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
¾ cup cold coffee
1 cup honey
1 cup apricot preserves
¾ cup oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 orange, juiced and grated rind
1 apple, shredded with peel
3 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 325ºF.
2. Cream eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
3. Dissolve baking soda in coffee.
4. Add honey, apricot preserves, oil, spices, salt, nuts and coffee to creamed mixture. Blend well.
5. Add orange juice, rind and apple and mix well.
6. Stir flour into mixture.
7. Pour mixture into two 5in. x 9in. loaf pans plus one mini loaf pan.
8. Bake for 40 minutes, then increase temperature to 350ºF and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.