Zucchini Nut Chocolate Chunk Breakfast Cookies
I love recipes that are full of natural sweetness and loaded with healthy ingredients. When I discover a new and innovative recipe I eagerly delve into it! I have made this uber-healthy cookie recipe from My Modern Cookery over and over and find it not only a filling power-snack but one large cookie is sufficiently filling for my daily breakfast. I'm not kidding, these are loaded with the best ingredients to boost your morning. Peanut butter (or almond butter), oats, walnuts, a banana and even dark chocolate chips all support your performance. Zucchini adds a wonderful texture and moistness with a boost of nutrition, and a mild flavor that pairs beautifully with everything from cinnamon to chocolate. I highly recommend storing in the freezer to always have on hand. They defrost quickly!
Serves: 12 Large Cookies
¾ cup mashed ripe banana
1 ½ cups quick whole rolled oats
1 cup any nut butter of your choosing; peanut, almond, sun
½ cup chopped walnuts
⅓ cup honey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two large baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and mix together with a rubber spatula or spoon until well combined.
3. Using a ¼ cup, scoop cookies onto parchment, approx. 6 cookies per baking tray. Gently press the cookies down to create a flatter shape.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. The cookie should have a soft consistency.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Cookies will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or they freeze well and defrost quickly.