Warm homemade cornbread is delicious eaten on its own, with a pat of butter, crumbled over chili, or as a Thanksgiving side dish! The ten basic ingredients are usually on hand, so easy to combine and simply baked in either a cake pan, muffin tins or an iron skillet until golden in color. In a very short time, a lovely golden yellow coarsely textured cake-like cornbread with hints of vanilla is ready to be devoured right out of the oven, and highly recommended.
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan, muffin tins or an iron skillet.
2. Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, lemon juice, butter and vanilla; stir well.
4. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Stir together until moistened.
5. Pour mixture into cake pan and bake 25 minutes until golden in color.
6. Remove from oven and cool for ten minutes. Carefully slice into serving pieces, remove from pan and serve.